Re: DATA 554 responses - To Retry or Not.

2008-08-11 03:05:04

Paul Smith wrote:

Hector Santos wrote:

D, continue to try USER2, as that transaction was delayed.

Glenn's answer assumes USER1 will be getting the message here.
No. He assumes USER1 will NOT be getting the message, and never will, so there's no point in retrying it.

He believes (as I do) that you can't assume the same about USER2, so you should retry that.

I'm 100% with Glenn here.

Thats fine, I don't - I mean I don't agree with the logic here under a DATA 5zy retry condition for user2. I believe it is wrong and will break client software.

I think a single message delivery attempt with N (N>1) recipients should behave exactly identically to N delivery attempts each with a single recipient. Glenn's method works for that, yours doesn't.

False. I suggest it will break more client software retry logic than not.

Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com
http://santronics.blogspot.com