Re: Submission identifiers

2009-01-26 21:54:11

On Jan 26, 2009, at 6:25 PM, David MacQuigg wrote:

At 09:50 AM 1/26/2009 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

I have a 'common' situation in mind. Whether you like it or not, it is
common enough.
There is a small business who has bought Microsoft SBS. They are running Microsoft Exchange with the POP3 connector over a dynamic IP ADSL. They
have Exchange set up for direct sending, with fallback to their ISP's
smarthost. They don't want to change to always use their ISP's smarthost
because that has long delays in sending.

What are they supposed to use for the EHLO parameter if it is important
enough to mean the difference between delivery or not?

This is a good case. I think we can include Steve's example as a sub-case, since he has a static IP address from his ISP.

The solutions in this case include the three suggested for the roaming laptop, plus another option. Get a static IP address from your ISP. In my office I have a small network behind a NAT with one external address. My ISP charges $10 per month for the static IP. Last I checked, the phone company price was the same.

By the way, I don't use my static IP for sending mail. For reliable delivery, I relay my outgoing mail through a Giant Provider, not because of authentication problems, but simply that my domain is too small to have any clout with receivers. I spent several hours negotiating with just one Giant Provider to get on their whitelist. The change I am suggesting will make it easier for small companies to establish their identity, build a good reputation, and operate their own transmitters. That may be one reason we haven't seen a solution to the identity fraud problem. The Giant Providers like the status quo.

I guess this discussion has about run its course, so I'll summarize. We've narrowed the question to just whether SMTP should drop the requirement that receivers MUST NOT reject apparently forged helonames. The suggested language for a change was:

 An SMTP server MAY reject a mail session if a domain name argument in
the EHLO command does not actually correspond to the IP address of the client. Clients that are unable to establish this correspondence MUST
 NOT provide an invalid domain name argument.

The claimed benefit was that a currently useless and frequently abused parameter, the heloname, could then become useful in rejecting forgeries, and that would motivate legitimate senders to take it seriously. This in turn could lead to large numbers of receivers making good use of the heloname, whitelisting legitimate domains, etc. Eventually almost all legitimate mail would go this route, and only a small fraction would have to go through a spam filter, reducing losses, and improving the reliability of email communications.

I'm coming in a little late, so feel free to ignore the next three paragraphs if they've already been covered.

If the requirement for mail to bypass restrictions is that the HELO matches (by some metric) the reverse DNS of the IP address, and the only value of enforcing this rule is so that you can gather reputation based on this string, why not just use reputation based on the reverse DNS of the SMTP peer?

If the hope is that bad email will be sent from source addresses where the HELO string and IP don't match and good email will be sent from sources where the HELO string and IP do match that shows an awful lot of optimism about legitimate senders and a big underestimate of non legitimate senders.

Even SPF seems to have a more compelling value proposition.

The claimed reason for not making this change was that it would be too hard on some small fraction of legitimate senders. Three cases were presented.
1) The small office with a dynamically-assigned IP address.
2) The roaming laptop.
3) The digital camera.

4) MTAs that are smarthosts for a number of domains, and which use (for reasons that their vendors and users consider quite important) the domain name of the authenticated sender or the SMTP FROM as the HELO string. (That I think this behavior is... silly... doesn't mean it's not desired behavior by the users.)

The solutions considered too difficult were:
1) Get a static IP address for the transmitter in the small office.
2) Relay through a transmitter with an established identity and reputation. 3) Authorize the entire block of addresses that might be dynamically assigned to the transmitter. 4) Use an address literal, meaning - please accept this session without a HELO ID.

Cheers,
  Steve