Re: RFC 5321bis / 2821ter

2009-01-27 10:16:34

In message <EBB53940F75E648CFD9173FE(_at_)[192(_dot_)168(_dot_)1(_dot_)118]>,
John C Klensin writes:

Using this as a back door to get rid of SMTP clients that send
mail from private address space directly into public Internet
address space is a different problem.  It just isn't the way to
do that, independent of how desirable one might believe it to
be.  Even its desirability is in doubt give IPv4 address space
shortages and the belief that we will be seeing ever more of
those addresses in the coming years.  If you want to pursue that
option, please get the RIRs and the various network operations
groups to sign off on it first.

        It will be in more doubt when you throw in NAT64 and NAT46
        as part of a IPv6 transition plan.

I think I've now said about as much as I usefully can on this
topic.

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org