Re: STARTTLS & EHLO: Errata text?

2009-01-29 19:06:41

Hi Ned,

ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Hi Tony,

Some of the text in this message is from from RFC 3207.

At 09:04 29-01-2009, Tony Hansen wrote:

>If we were to write an Errata against RFC 3207, I'd suggest text such as
>the following (in Errata format):
>
>Section:
>    4.2 Result of the STARTTLS Command
>
>Old text:
> The server MUST discard any knowledge obtained from the client, such > as the argument to the EHLO command, which was not obtained from the
>    TLS negotiation itself.
>
>New text:
>    The server MUST discard any knowledge obtained from the client that
>    was not obtained from the TLS negotiation itself. The server state
>    is otherwise as if the connection had just been opened.
>
>Reason:
>    The example is misleading and has lead some people to think that
>    knowledge of an EHLO having been sent previously should be
>    remembered.

Quoting the entire paragraph from the RFC:

   "Upon completion of the TLS handshake, the SMTP protocol is reset to
    the initial state (the state in SMTP after a server issues a 220
    service ready greeting).  The server MUST discard any knowledge
    obtained from the client, such as the argument to the EHLO command,
    which was not obtained from the TLS negotiation itself.  The client
MUST discard any knowledge obtained from the server, such as the list
    of SMTP service extensions, which was not obtained from the TLS
    negotiation itself.  The client SHOULD send an EHLO command as the
    first command after a successful TLS negotiation."

Updated text:

    Upon completion of the TLS handshake, the SMTP protocol is reset to
    the initial state (the state in SMTP after a server issues a 220
service ready greeting). The server MUST discard any knowledge obtained
    from the client, such as command verbs and their arguments, that was
not obtained from the TLS negotiation itself. The client MUST discard any knowledge obtained from the server, such as the list of SMTP service extensions, which was not obtained from the TLS negotiation itself. As the server state is as when a SMTP session is initiated, the client SHOULD send an EHLO command as the
    first command after a successful TLS negotiation.

While I have no objection to making this change, I note in passing that quite a few servers, ours included, violate the "the server MUST discard any knowledge obtained from the client" part of this and will continue to do so no matter
what is written in any standard.

The reason for this is simple: Limits used in controlling spam and DOS attacks. Servers impose limits on all sorts of things, including but not limited to the number of transactions in a session, the total number of recipients, the total time a session has taken, and so on. If a server follows this MUST it turns STARTTLS into a one time "reset all my rate limits" pass. That's simply not
acceptable in today's email climate.

Good point.

Please note that I am not arguing that such limits are effective in controlling spam or deflecting DOS attacks. (Nor am I arguing that they aren't.) My point is rather that mail system administrators insist on having these sort of limits available as part of their security toolbox. If they aren't available or are there in a form that can easily be bypassed they will run a different mail
server product instead.

The simplest fix to bring this text in line with reality is to change the MUST into a SHOULD. Beyond that lies a slippery slope where we attempt to categorize what sorts of information a server can or cannot retain. I really don't think
we want to go there.

I would like suggest an alternative: how about saying

   The server MUST NOT trust any information obtained
from the client, such as command verbs and their arguments, prior to the TLS negotiation.
   The client MUST NOT trust any information obtained from the server,
   such as the list of SMTP service extensions,
   prior to the TLS negotiation.

This avoid the whole issue of what the client/server must and must not remember.
[...]

>Section:
>    4. The STARTTLS Command
>
>Old text:
>    The format for the STARTTLS command is:
>
>    STARTTLS
>
>    with no parameters.
>
>New text:
>    The format for the STARTTLS command is:
>
>    STARTTLS
>
>    with no parameters.
>
>    Because the server state machine is reset to an initial connection
>    state after negotiating TLS, and any modifications to the server
>    state will be lost, the client SHOULD NOT issue any MAIL
>    FROM or RCPT TO commands prior to using the STARTTLS command.

Agreed.

While this clarification exercise is all well and good, if we're actually going to issue a revision to RFC 3207 we should consider fixing its most serious flaw (IMO) - the lack of a domain parameter on the STARTTLS command, in order to allow a single SMTP server to provide "virtual hosting" support for multiple
domains.

This is an interesting issue, because it affects pretty much any application protocol that have STARTTLS command or similar.

While I agree that this functionality is needed, I came to conclusion that this change at the application layer is not needed, as there a TLS extension for doing exactly that (RFC 4366, section 3.1). It might even be supported by OpenSSL.
But lack of APIs for controlling this in TLS libraries might be a problem.

This would have to be done by advertising a separate extension, say
STARTTLSDOMAIN, which if present says the STARTTLS command accept a single, optional parameter specifying the domain associated with the certificate the client would like to see the server assert. Text for this can be adapted from
section 6 of RFC 3887.

As things stand now these sorts of virtual hosting setups require the use of multiple separate ports or IP addresses (usually the latter given how many clients don't support alternate ports). That's fine and dandy when you have two or three domains, but unacceptable when you're hosting thousands of them or
more.