Re: STARTTLS & EHLO: Errata text?

2009-01-30 04:56:19

ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

While I have no objection to making this change, I note in passing
that quite a
few servers, ours included, violate the "the server MUST discard any
knowledge
obtained from the client" part of this and will continue to do so no
matter
what is written in any standard.
I think you could argue that the number of messages you have accepted
from the client, the session time, the number of recipients etc, is NOT
information received from the client, but information derived by the
server itself.

If there was an extension for the client to say 'I'm going to send 6
messages this session', then that information would have to be
discarded, but the server remembering that 6 messages have already been
sent is something the server could work out for itself.

Also, AIUI, you could always refuse to accept STARTTLS after you have
accepted a message. (I can't think of any good reason you'd want to send
some messages with TLS and others without, but maybe others can)

--
Paul Smith

VPOP3 - POP3/SMTP/IMAP4/Webmail Email server for Windows