Re: [Fwd: Last Call: draft-crocker-email-arch (Internet Mail Architecture) to Proposed Standard]

2009-03-01 18:46:45

Folks,

[Local-part. Case sensitivity.  Globally opaque.  Where to interpret.]

I'm fixing the email-arch draft, according to the various notes that point out errors, confusion or poor wording. But I'm stymied by the several notes on the topic of local-part, some of which discussed language or issues that seem to differ from what is in email-arch.

Anyhow, here's what exists now:

RFC 5321
--------

2.3.11. Mailbox and Address

...the local-part MUST be
   interpreted and assigned semantics only by the host specified in the
   domain part of the address.

/////

2.4. General Syntax Principles and Transaction Model

   Verbs and argument values (e.g., "TO:" or "to:" in the RCPT command
   and extension name keywords) are not case sensitive, with the sole
   exception in this specification of a mailbox local-part
   The local-part of a mailbox MUST BE treated as case sensitive.
   Therefore, SMTP implementations MUST take care to preserve the case
   of mailbox local-parts.  In particular, for some hosts, the user
   "smith" is different from the user "Smith".  However, exploiting the
   case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and
   is discouraged.

RFC 5322
--------

3.4.1. Addr-Spec Specification

   The local-part portion is a domain-dependent string.  In addresses,
   it is simply interpreted on the particular host as a name of a
   particular mailbox.

email-arch
----------

<t>The portion to the left of the at&nbhy;sign contains a
        string that is globally opaque and is called the
        &lt;local&nbhy;part&gt;. It is to be
        interpreted only by the entity specified by the address's
        domain name. Except as noted later in this section all
        other entities MUST treat the
        &lt;local&nbhy;part&gt; as an uninterpreted
        literal string and MUST preserve all of its original
        details. As such its public distribution is equivalent to
        sending a Web browser "cookie" that is only interpreted
        upon being returned to its creator.</t>

I think the current text in the draft accurately reflects the scope and formal semantics of local-part. The draft does not confront the apparent contradiction between "MUST BE treated as case sensitive" and "case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and is discouraged" in RFC 5321.

Since the latter is not explicitly normative, I thought it acceptable for email-arch to stick with the formal view.

If someone thinks email-arch should have different text on this topic, please suggest some.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking