Re: Last Call: draft-crocker-email-arch (Internet Mail Architecture) to Proposed Standard

2009-03-05 06:00:37

Hector Santos wrote:

  - Some remaining parts of the software and many of the
    3rd party tools still used upper case user names.

   "OLD USER"      <--> "OLD USER" <old(_dot_)user(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>

Sorry, I also meant to add:

     "OLD USER"      <--> "OLD USER" <OLD(_dot_)USER(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>

where the case is carried on and/or forced upper case.

What is interesting is that if we look at our user database and those our long time customers, the pattern would be:

   1985 to 1992   user accounts all uppercase, server enforced,
                  no email "user ids", email storage in local
                  format.

                  JOE SMITH
                  MARY WHATEVER

   1993 to 1998   beginning of mix by tools, server did not
                  enforce uppercase, (no email formats), Preserve
                  Mime storage user preference, low usage.

                  JOE SMITH
                  MARY WHATEVER
                  Larry The Plumber
                  sex goddess

   1999 to 2004   Undocumented allowance for email ids
                  stock software/tools do not uppercase, Preserve
                  Mime storage user preference becomes more
                  prevalent with the growth of POP3/EXCHANGE.

                  JOE SMITH
                  MARY WHATEVER
                  Larry The Plumber
                  sex goddess
                  bill(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com
                  TOM(_at_)MSN(_dot_)COM       <-- 3rd party signup tool?

   2005 to today  preservation is the key consideration, case
                  insensitive compares in all cases. Preserve
                  Mime is fundamental as people like HTML mail
                  and POP3/EXCHANGE.

                  JOE SMITH
                  MARY WHATEVER
                  Larry The Plumber
                  sex goddess
                  bill(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com
                  TOM(_at_)MSN(_dot_)COM       <-- 3rd party signup tool?

                  new account names preserved
                  with extended record for optional email id.

So at least for us, the statement in 5321 2.3.11

   Consequently, and due to a long history of problems when
   intermediate hosts have attempted to optimize transport by
   modifying them, the local-part MUST be interpreted and assigned
   semantics only by the host specified in the domain part of the
   address.

and 2.4

   Therefore, SMTP implementations MUST take care to preserve the case
   of mailbox local-parts.

are very applicable.

--
Sincerely