Re: how many SMTP/Submit clients use CHUNKING and BINARYMIME

2009-04-14 15:42:29

On 3 Apr 2009, at 20:24, Tony Hansen wrote:
Are there any Mail User Agents that use BINARYMIME (and CHUNKING, of
course) to submit messages, if the submission server supports
BINARYMIME+CHUNKING? Or do all the MUAs just encode their attachments
using base64/quoted-printable and not bother checking to see if they
need to?

Even the clients from vendors who servers support CHUNKING don't seem to know how to construct MIME sections with CTE of Binary.

Sad, really. There's no reason why SMTP can't be a perfectly usable asynchronous file transfer service, and that'll be all the more essential when we're all using IPv6 and do it for ourselves. (Or perhaps the coffee is a little too strong again.)

On a related note, Pegasus Mail refuses to adapt to the awful reality that everybody else is willing to handle arbitrary line lengths. Shall we go around making it mandatory?

Cheers,
Sabahattin