Re: Requesting comments on draft-cheney-safe-02.txt

2009-07-31 10:09:32

Hector,

I must have not communicated the problem and objective clearly.  The security
problem only exists in the realm of the WWW.  The solution to this problem, as
I propose it, only exists over SMTP.  The idea is to eventually abandon use of
all client-side scripting on WWW in favor of an alternate secure solution that
is only capable of existing over SMTP.

I am not actually proposing to mix or merge HTTP and SMTP transaction states.
I have not thought of such an idea, and so such might be possible but I have
given no thought to how that might work.  The closet to mixing protocols that I
have ever thought of is to supply a URI in a markup language over email that
may be either HTTP or SMTP as defined by that URI.

Thanks,
Austin

----- Original Message -----
From: Hector Santos <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>
Date: Friday, July 31, 2009 8:30
Subject: Re: Requesting comments on draft-cheney-safe-02.txt
To: "Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC"
<austin(_dot_)cheney(_at_)us(_dot_)army(_dot_)mil>
Cc: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk-lists(_at_)cybernothing(_dot_)org>,
ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org

Do you have examples of these HTTP-based SMTP Client Side Script?

I presume its a HTTP POST request on port 25 (or some other known
SMTP
server port) with the posted request body content containing
batched
SMTP commands?

Off hand, I am not sure if the security concerns are SMTP related.

--
Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com

Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC wrote:

The idea is that security vulnerabilities on the internet occur
most significantly as a result of client-side scripting from
documents transmitted across HTTP.  By most significant I mean as
measured by quantity and not severity.  In addition to frequent
immediate vulernabilities client-side scripting can also operate as
an execution point for other additional vulernabilities not
directly associated with client-side scripting.  It is my opinion
that the only way to solve this security problem is to either break
HTTP or eliminate client-side scripting.  I find there is no reason
to break HTTP since it is working perfectly well and is not to
blame for this problem.  Client-side scripting cannot be removed
unless an alternative convention is proposed.

It is absolutely imparitive that a solution exist as the quantity
of these security problems are continually increasing and there is
no possible solution available from HTTP.  If a solution is not
proposed the security flaws of the system will become so
significant that the commerical value of financial transactions and
PII leaks will eventually result in abandoning the internet as an
open platform in favor of more secure proprietary technologies.

As an alerternative method of allowing interactivity from client-
side scripting I wrote this document to migrate the concept of
client-side scripting to the email architecture.  The idea is that
interactivity from client-side scripting can be replaced by
transaction interactivity.  Since mail servers are intermediate
agents in the transmission, opposed to an end point like an HTTP
server, they can make processing or scripting decisions upon data
without that scripting having to exist on a client system.  In
other words, it is basically an inverted form of AJAX that does not
execute on the client-side.  The idea is easily possible using
SMTP, but is not possible over HTTP since HTTP does not have
intermediate agents between the client and server.

Thanks,
Austin