Re: Abort data transfer?

2009-11-15 15:17:54

--On Sunday, November 15, 2009 19:52 +0000 Tony Finch
<dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at> wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, John C Klensin wrote:

And that analysis is almost certainly one of the reasons why
the multipart/partial idea in MIME has never gone much of
anywhere as a useful tool.

It was implemented by OUtlook Express and was certainly used
in practice by many people - I think it might have been turned
on by default in some situations. We started blocking messages
containing partial mime parts in 2003 to prevent it from being
used to bypass our email AV scanners, and a number of our
users needed help to turn of the feature.

The fact that it has been turned off in order to make AV
scanners and other antimalware and antispam tools and to prevent
bypassing checks on total message size as seen by the recipient
is consistent with my comment.   Please note that I didn't say
"hasn't been implemented".  I said "gone much of anywhere as a
useful tool".

So I don't think we are disagreeing.