Re: Edited Mail and Resent Headers

2010-05-21 13:48:06
On 2010-05-20 16:08:35 -0400, Hector Santos wrote:
The issue is based on the growing or rebirth of FORUMS that are gated by
NNTP and exposed as newsgroups and the online software allow uses to
correct/alter their mail (at any time), and the implementation does not
create a new "message id" that would transforms to a new export by the
NNTP gateway.

So I was thinking that maybe it (Resent-*) could be used here. It
doesn't since the specs "implies" the old Message-ID remains the same
and the Resent-Message-ID get the new one.

The old X.400 "Supersedes" was considered as a possibility to handle it
but I am now considering a new proposal that addresses authenticated
backend/mua interfacing, less than an IMAP but more than we have now for
NNTP/POP3.

I don't know why you throw NNTP and POP3 together. They have rather
different models.

Anyway, I assume that by "online edited mail" you mean a new version of
a forum/news article which should replace the old version. This is what
the "Supersedes" header is for: The new message gets a new message-ids
(In NNTP message-ids need to be unique - a new message which matches an
existing message-id simply won't be propagated because every newsserver
will assume that it already has the message) and reference the old
message in the Supersedes header. Servers and/or clients are supposed to
remove/hide superseded messages.

I don't see any relation to the Resent-* message headers. These were
intended for messages which were sent again (possibly by a different
sender) essentially unchanged. My MUA still has a "bounce" command to do
this (and I prefer this over forwarding email in many cases).

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Openmoko has already embedded
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | voting system.
| |   | hjp(_at_)hjp(_dot_)at         | Named "If you want it -- write it"
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |  -- Ilja O. on
community(_at_)lists(_dot_)openmoko(_dot_)org