Processing after the end of DATA

2010-08-09 19:28:48

G'day.

It's Monday.  I'm feeling aggressive...

Once upon a time, it was deemed important to respond after crlf.crlf as quick as possible. Pausing for additional processing of varying complexity and delay was deemed unacceptable.

There seems to be an emerging constituency that thinks this stricture is not applicable to modern email services.

I did a 10-second scan of 5321 and didn't find the relevant text, but I'd like to resolve -- and preferably squash -- this issue quickly.

Can folks offer pointers to normative language?

Thanks.

d/

ps.  Yes, there is a differential to my aggressiveness.
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking