Leading Dots

2011-05-25 09:59:18

Note: Arggh, resending because the example lines were getting extra dots, so I am adding a leading space before each line!

 must be missing something here.  I noticed two MUAs, Outlook and
Thunderbird adding extra dots for lines I would not expect it would.

For testing, I sent a simple text message with these five lines only:

 . one
 .. two
 ... three
 .... four
 ..... five

At my receiver, a socket read DATA block dump showed the MUAs sending
an extra dot on each line:

 .. one
 ... two
 .... three
 ..... four
 ...... five
 .                <-- expected <CRLF>.<CRLF> terminator

Why?  Is that correct?

What caught my eye was an intermediary also adding extra dots, in this
case, a message I set to a list had a line beginning with:

     ... blah, blah

But it showed up here with two extra dots:

     ..... blah, blah

So when I begin testing why, I noticed the MUA was adding one extra
and the intermediary adding one extra itself.

Is this normal?

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos