Re: Logging port numbers

2011-06-05 11:52:20

I'll second the notion that source port and destination port should be clearly
distinguished.  Also, putting the source port # next to the destination IP
address strikes me as confusing.

Keith

On Jun 5, 2011, at 2:04 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John
Levine
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2011 10:57 PM
To: ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Logging port numbers

There is a registry for Additional-registered-clauses, which is
currently empty, but we could fix that.  Seems reasonable?

Works for me.  The only thing I can see that might come up is that not all
SMTP servers listen on port 25, so maybe we need a way of (optionally)
logging the port on which the SMTP server was listening as well?