RE: Mail Data termination

2011-08-22 00:32:29

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Hector
Santos
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:14 PM
To: ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Mail Data termination

If you don't get caught up with the "Windows-hate" comments (and
incorrect assumptions about Windows), try to catch on that the
technology employed in Windows is a direction for some of the *nix
flavors. But the above is not about windows, but how Unix is trying to
catch up! <g>

I didn't say anything about any specific operating system, nor am I interested
in engaging such a dialog.

What I did say is that if the OS (or indeed, the SMTP server) where you're
seeing this can't tolerate a few idle connections hanging around, I'd start
wondering if it's capable of operating at Internet scale and might benefit from
a design review.

At any rate, I agree with John Klensin's comment that this isn't a problem with
the RFCs, so I think it's time to let this thread die.

-MSK