Re: Mail Data termination

2011-08-22 05:31:56

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Hector answers me:
OK, so suppose you're a sender.

Your best friend is a queue manager.

You've just finished sending a message. Now you send a message to tell
your best friend you're done. Do you, or don't you, keep the
connection open just in case your friend has more work for the same
connection? How long?

Haven't you ever told someone?

Don't evade, please.

I'm sorry, I thought I did give me take for an answer to your question.

I'll try again.

No, you don't keep the connection open waiting for new mail from your friend. But if you did, you could not wait for more than 5 mins. So you ask, how long that is less than 5 mins?

Well the less the better and hopefully no more than 0.15 seconds or CPU Quantum that forces a page swap, context switching.

The point is that you might get away with this for one or two friends, but once ALL friends did this, the receiver and all clients will begin to see problems.

The problem overall is some see this is a good thing, it might be for some, but I don't think its a good thing in the wide network of receivers and clients. The more people do this, the closer you fell the negatives and there scientific formulas that will explain why. We already see the negatives with increase sessions times. small but definitely there to see.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com