Re: Mail Data termination

2011-08-18 15:19:39

ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Murray S. Kucherawy <msk(_at_)cloudmark(_dot_)com> wrote:
One of the more ubiquitous MTAs out there has a feature called
"connection caching" where it will keep some fixed number of outbound
SMTP connections around, cycled using an LRU method, in case a new
message arrives that is routed to a recent destination to avoid the cost
of making a new connection and doing the initial SMTP negotiation.

I believe Postfix and Exchange can do this.

Our server also does something along these lines. (It's a little more complex
because it ties in to how many simultaneous threads you allow to connect to a
given destination.)

We are doing this as a storage destination queue basis. I think a CS logic that depends on sitting idle with a presumed server 5 mins usage imposes a serious problem with receiver loading limits, system availability and scalability concerns.

For example, if a system allowed for X receivers, the more clients follow a CS logic, the closer the connections reach X, the more the server availability goes down.

NOT GOOD!

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos