RE: Mail Data termination

2011-08-16 19:19:42

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Hector
Santos
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:48 PM
To: SM
Cc: ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Mail Data termination

Never mind the fact QUIT (or a new transaction command) is an SMTP
requirement before the transaction is considered complete for
delivery.  Its in the specs, but really, how much liberalism in
failure to comply to standards do we continue to tolerant?

That's not what QUIT means.  QUIT closes a session, not a transaction.  The end
of DATA completes a transaction (Section 4.1.1.4 of RFC5321) and resets state.

The idea of not delivering a message because the client didn't send QUIT is a
singular interpretation of SMTP as far as I can tell.