Re: Mail Data termination

2011-08-16 18:01:30

On Aug 16, 2011, at 6:29 PM, Hector Santos wrote:

Agree. I just wanted to show at least the one way found why/how it can
happen, otherwise, with my tendency to give everyone the benefit of the doubt
first, I would still be pulling my hair on this one. :)

There are some other insight to this, that IMV is worthy of implementation
notes, but yes, I agree, the SMTP client MUST escape the dot lines if its not
the true end of data marker.

This is not a new problem; I've occasionally seen clients that botched this
ever since the mid-1980s.  (which is to say, ever since I first had anything to
do with SMTP).

I'm not sure how implementation notes would help here.   If client implementors
can't be bothered to read the spec, why would they read the implementation
notes?

maybe we need to make the protocol more complicated so that they have to do so
:)

Keith