Re: Mail Data termination

2011-08-16 19:36:00

OK, I don't think it is productive to repeat these semantic difference of opinions of what section 4.1.1.10 says:

IMTO, no matter how you wish read this, NO QUIT means a cancellation because otherwise the only other way to end a SMTP session is for the client to close the socket connection. So what this would indirectly suggest the SMTP specs implicitly says:

   There is two ways for a client to end a SMTP session:
   QUIT or DROP THE LINE

and that does not jive with the written words:

   The sender MUST NOT intentionally close the transmission
   channel until it sends a QUIT command,

I can understood your position, very clearly, but in general, I don't think this is a good way to do robust client/server communications (allowing drops to signal message transaction completion). It opens the door for unsureness.