RE: Mail Data termination

2011-08-17 02:09:32

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Hector
Santos
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:22 PM
To: SM
Cc: John C Klensin; ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Mail Data termination

Again, this is repeated 5 times before it decides to stop. Thats a
clear indication that the 250 response is not viewed as the
transaction complete signal that a server has accepted the transaction
for delivery and the client can "believe" it doesn't need to send the
QUIT nor retry again and can just drop the line.

I don't think it clearly indicates that.  I think this is more plausible:

- client sends DATA
- server sends 354
- client starts sending a broken message body that contains an errant
<CR><LF>.<CR><LF> plus more after it
- server sees the termination, starts message delivery and returns 250
- server starts seeing the other message content as SMTP commands, rejecting
them all with 5xx
- client finally reaches the end of its idea of the body
- client then sees the 250 the server sent, which makes it happy
- client then also sees a ton of other stuff it didn't expect, which makes it
unhappy
- client assumes the connection has gone south and disconnects without sending
QUIT

I suspect the client is not sending QUIT because the two SMTP sessions are
clearly out of sync, not because it thinks QUIT is the right way to initiate
delivery.