Re: Mail Data termination

2011-08-17 00:08:12

Hi Hector,
At 20:23 16-08-2011, Hector Santos wrote:
So the only highly subjective argument which I will never buy as being absolute in either direction is that the receiver MUST ALWAYS deliver with the 250 even for invalid messages.

As a clarification, acceptance of a message (SMTP transaction) does not equate with delivery, i.e. the SMTP server already sent the 250, it cannot send a 550 as it already provided a reply code. John commented on the server sending a NDN if it deems fit. Randall Gellens commented on the timing issue. I haven't seen anyone arguing in this thread that the receiver must always deliver.

Regards,
-sm