Re: "proper" handling of BCC

2012-03-01 09:20:41

Francesco Gennai wrote:

I'd actually rather have an extension that worked the opposite way: Construct
the headers from an appropriately decorated envelope and add them to the
message, and if handling error results from RCPT TO is an issue for clients
have a means to require that only outright syntax errors be reported as a
command result and report all other errors later with a DSN.

I would add to this discussion a possible (new?) need about the BCC handling (that come out in some scenario, see below) that is to forbid at MSA level the use of a BCC.

My Opinion:

After rethinking this, at first I would agree but I don't quite see how this would fall under SMTP (as an extension) due to the wide agree of how the integrated systems are done, i.e. the presumption as I read SMTP would be processing the headers once it is accepted. Maybe a internal (local vs remote) router will, perhaps even a gateway or a mail importer who may be already doing final clean up (i.e. stripping Return-Path or old uucp/slip "From " headers are no longer necessary).

In this case I agree with the Ned approach (based on a SMTP extension) versus the one that currently we are using in the Italian Certified email system, where we are parsing the TO and CC headers and comparing the result with the list of RCPT-TOs (many platforms have been adapted to be compliant with such MSA requirement).

Interesting and curious for the genesis of that logic. The two don't need to match. The offline MUA used did not do the separation?

It always helped me to view this in three parts (perhaps four, trace lines) regarding the format or network:

   Network Control Headers
   Display Headers