Re: [ietf-smtp] Reject messages on backup mail exchangers when primary MX is online

2013-02-23 14:23:34
Hi Ned,

That's only true if you let it be true. There is no reason for the insertion
of a secondary to interrupt the flow of information to the primary, so
the information available once the message does get to the primary should
be the same, resulting in the same accept/reject/discard decision being
made.

True, it requires a certain amount of finesse, and some standards in this area
would definitely help, but there is nothing intrinsicly impossible to do here.

Actually that is an interesting idea. The backup MX could act as an SMTP
proxy as long as it can maintain a connection with the primary. That
would also sort out your observation on address checking.

Not even close. See above. At most the role of a check of the primary would
be the adjust spam filters and perhaps some rate limiting.

I'm not going to bother to respond to your specific proposals since IMO the
entire goal here is wrongminded.

Well, you seem to agree with the others on this list, so what can I say?
It was just an idea... It's hard to get rid of the spammers ;-)

It's too unfortunate that we have to calculate in that routing problems
could result in the primary MX not being reachable from the sender,
while a backup MX will still be reachable. I believe that such a
situation would be highly unlikely in many cases, but I agree that a
standard should cover all cases and be consistent with other standards.

Still maybe the "let the backup MX act as an SMTP proxy to the primary
MX when the primary MX is online" idea is useful, as is the idea to deny
backup MX use in some cases, but all of you convinced me that this
should not be in a standard.

Thanks for the feedback, all of you.

Evert