Re: [ietf-smtp] Is this a new bad i18n idea?

2014-05-23 07:15:58
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:

The HTTP server has to be explicitly configured to recognize the virtual
domain anyway, otherwise it has no idea where to find the content that
goes with that domain.

It doesn't need to be explicit. Here's something I wrote 15 years ago...

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/vhosts/mass.html

so how is the server to know which DNS domains it should trust?

The domains that the server doesn't know about will not work because the
content isn't where the server expects :-)

I am less negative about John's CNAME idea than Keith or Ned. Yes of
course as Ned said it cannot possibly cope with all the wild and wooly
mail configurations that people want, but it is sufficient for simple
cases. My servers have some simple domain-level aliases which could be
supported just fine by this feature.

A significant caveat is that some senders (such as Sendmail with
DontExpandCnames off) will take it upon themselves to rewrite based
on the CNAME and others will not, and you can't control this.

You could in principle do something similar in a web server, e.g. have a
catch-all virtual host which sends responses that do CNAME-based domain
redirects. (That should keep the DNS lookup away from latency-sensitive
paths.)

The key question is whether this kind of dumb DNS-based provisioning is
useful enough to satisfy people who want easier IDN setup, or whether
their requirements are diverse enough that there's no point trying.
The people who might be interested in this kind of thing are the big
hosting providers, but they already have full-fat provisioning systems
which ought to be able to cope with IDN aliases, so I expect they would
see no benefit from using the DNS in this way.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: North or northwest 4 or 5, increasing 6 at times. Rough in north,