Re: [ietf-smtp] BSMTP deployment?

2014-05-23 13:43:40

--On Friday, 23 May, 2014 11:26 -0700 Dave Crocker
<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

I've got a use case that needs something like it, but of
course most folk don't know about it and, so, aren't
automatically inclined to use it.  The fact that the spec has
been around a long time and that there has been "some" use
isn't compelling to them.  I'm lazier than they are...

If that is the question, it is perhaps useful to remember that,
using a different protocol for transport, essentially the same
protocol was the basis for email (including Revised LISTSERV
list distribution and its predecessors and competitors) on
BITNET/NETNORTH/EARN for most of the lives of those networks.
If your associates/ clients are concerned about whether the
protocol has been tested by actual use at scale, the email
activity on those networks would push the answer several orders
of magnitude past "some".

In that context, the PDMF channel for those networks that Ned
mentioned was one of two really major implementations when
measured in traffic volume.

So the answer to your question depends somewhat on what the
question really is.  For the contemporary public Internet, I'd
agree with "probably some" although in the end game period for
Internet dialup service, I was aware of a few enterprises that
used it as part of a de facto submission service for clients
that mostly offline and came online only to synchronize.  In
that regard, think about BSMTP as a complement to IMAP Offline
mode, appropriate when one typically accumulated a lot of
outbound messages before coming online and then wanting to be
online for as short a time as possible.

Hope that helps,