Re: [ietf-smtp] A trivial question about line lengths

2014-11-30 20:23:38

In message <B29528F8-EA86-4F1A-AB96-A6BA7AF98908(_at_)wordtothewise(_dot_)com>,
Steve Atki
ns writes:
RFC 5322 discusses line lengths both in terms of the maximum line length
an MTA can be required to handle (998 bytes) but also a more conservative 78
character limit, driven by the requirement to support user interfaces that
are only 78 characters wide.

80 characters wide.

If I'm wrapping a header by breaking a line with "\r\n\t", and I'm trying
to comply with the spirit of the RFC, how many characters am I allowed to
put on the continuation line?

Is it 77, as I have a single tab character already, and I'm allowed 78
total?  Or is it 72, as in the glass teletype world the RFC seems to live
in the tab character will consume 8 display characters to the first tab
stop, leaving me another 72 before I run into the right edge of the
screen?

Assume tab stop of 8.

Cheers,
  Steve

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka(_at_)isc(_dot_)org