[ietf-smtp] Idea: Two-Way Mail

2015-02-25 09:35:41
Hello,

I'm not sure what's the best place to send this idea to enhance SMTP for
avoiding spam. The ASRG list is no longer active, so I'm trying it on
this list. Please suggest better places if you think it's inappropriate.
I think it might be appropriate, if there's willinglist to adopt. I
understand that many people/groups would have to agree to such an
enhancement of today's SMTP, so let's start by discussing if this
approach could work.

A (draft) writeup of this idea can be found as a PDF file at:
https://kuix.de/two-way-mail/

Very short summary below:
=================================
Email should adopt the both-way opt-in requirement used by many instant
messaging systems, before messages are accepted for delivery.

Require email address whitelists, controlled by the user, managed on the
user's mailbox server.

Find a way to signal contact attempts to the recipient, enabling a user
to discover them and add entries to the whitelist.

Change email delivery from today's store-and-forward approach and switch
to store-notify-and-poll.

Have the destination server retrieve email only if the sender address is
in the recipient's whitelist.

Have the destination server contact a mail server based on official
records (e.g. DNS), instead of accepting mail from anywhere.

Please let me know in case this is actually an old idea and has been
discussed/rejected already.
I'd appreciate your feedback.

Best Regards
Kai