Re: [ietf-smtp] Idea: Two-Way Mail

2015-02-25 12:14:17
In article <1424878533(_dot_)3092(_dot_)66(_dot_)camel(_at_)kuix(_dot_)de> you
write:
I'm not sure what's the best place to send this idea to enhance SMTP for
avoiding spam. The ASRG list is no longer active,

It's still around but I moved it when the ASRG research group shut down.
Send "subscribe" to asrg-request(_at_)lists(_dot_)gurus(_dot_)org

Please let me know in case this is actually an old idea and has been
discussed/rejected already.

These are all well known ideas, some of which are very, very old.  For
example, notify and poll was proposed by Dan Bernstein in the 1990s.
See http://cr.yp.to/im2000.html

Some of the ideas turn out to be bad, others are OK but not worth the
enormous switching costs from the way mail works now.  A few including
notify and poll have patent license issues in the U.S.

R's,
John, former ASRG chair