Monday, Nov 30, 2015 6:02 PM Dave Crocker wrote:
On 11/30/2015 2:51 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
Why would I be relaying mail on?   Only for a mailing list.   For the
mailing list, what I want SPF to validate is that the mail came from the
mailing list.
The most obvious is mailbox aliasing, such as for vanity addresses such
as university alumni associations provide.

That's a mailing list with one subscriber.   Same scenario.

Email is store and forward, and this can and does mean transit across
/multiple/ independent administrative domains.  The fact that the vast
majority of mail goes directly (one hop) from origin AD to the
recipient's AD does not mean it is reasonable for anyone to make
systemic design decisions that constrain that fundamental flexibility.

Sure, but in order for this argument to apply to the present discussion, we
would have to be able to show that what is being proposed would constrain that
fundamental flexibility, and I don't think it does.

IMO an essential design benefit in many/most aspects of Internet
technologies is avoiding making any more global assumptions (or
requirements) than essential.  "Deferring to the end systems" is a very
broad-based design requirement and it includes minimizing assumptions
about the transit infrastructure.

Sure, but in this case wouldn't deferring to the end systems argue in favor of
allowing end systems to make the decision as to whether their private
information should be exposed?

--
Sent from Whiteout Mail - https://whiteout.io

My PGP key: https://keys.whiteout.io/mellon(_at_)fugue(_dot_)com