Re: [ietf-smtp] [Shutup] Compressing SMTP streams

2016-02-09 03:32:49
On 08/02/2016 23:44, Aaron Zauner wrote:
Most certainly. But I'm still unsure what the added value of compression in SMTP is there. Ideally I'd like to see some measurements, these days most messages are rather short. Aaron

Not a perfect metric, but our mail server software stores messages in a database which compresses the messages individually. We typically find it compresses to around 50% of the original size. I haven't yet seen a customer installation where it's significantly different from that. So, for me, that seems reasonable as an average. Obviously some messages will compress a lot more, and others less.