Re: [ietf-smtp] Draft for compressing SMTP streams

2016-08-18 02:06:33
Fwiw I find the arguments below unpersuasive, but here they are and maybe we can do this round very quickly:

Compressing can let mobile clients upload faster to submission servers, achieving a better approximation of atomicity. I find this weak because they do not seem to pipeline and hardly anyone seems to have shown any interest in lemonade, not even to consider and reject it.

Compressing can help ESPs and big receivers. Well, perhaps, but both of those have enough bandwidth to do it the simple, reliable way.

Compressing can help spammers avoid detection when on botnets by using less bandwidth 😅

Arnt