Re: [ietf-smtp] Draft for compressing SMTP streams

2016-08-18 09:11:20
Or perhaps
not want compression at all. SMTP has different problems than IMAP,
which I think simple compression will not fix: Submit sees a single
message per connection, plain SMTP sees mostly spam. Why implement
compression, then?

I think the motivation is people sending around large documents in
formats like Word and Excel.  Pictures and videos aren't very
compressible, but they're base64 encoded so compressing that tends to
get you back to the original size.  (You don't have to tell me that
BINARYMIME and BDAT solve that particular problem better.)

Early on people from Gmail experessed interest, but I haven't heard
from them for a while.

R's,
John