Re: [ietf-smtp] Draft for compressing SMTP streams

2016-08-23 20:17:49
I get the impression that for most people, the 25% bloat for base64 isn't
a big enough deal to be worth a lot of effort to upgrade all the required
software to handle binary attachments.  If you really care that much, you
might as well put the attachments on a web server somewhere and use
message/external body with a pointer to where it's stored.  That's been in
the MIME standard for 20 years.

I think the Google Drive folks would be happy with that, but I'm not sure
the rest of the internet would be.

Depends how big the attachments are. I know people who would mail around 100 meg presentations every day if there were some way to do it.

Do you have any stats on how many large attachments people use?

R's,
John