Re: [ietf-smtp] Draft for compressing SMTP streams

2016-08-19 17:30:35
We wouldn't mind switching to a world of using BDAT/BINARYMIME (we support
both, but don't advertise BINARYMIME), but when coupled with DKIM, it
becomes harder, since if we switch to generating cte:binary messages and
signing them, or accepting such messages, how do we forward them to hosts
that don't handle them?

I get the impression that for most people, the 25% bloat for base64 isn't a big enough deal to be worth a lot of effort to upgrade all the required software to handle binary attachments. If you really care that much, you might as well put the attachments on a web server somewhere and use message/external body with a pointer to where it's stored. That's been in the MIME standard for 20 years.

R's,
John

It's kind of the same problem with SMTPUTF8, of course.

Yes, although with SMTPUTF8 we made a fairly clear distinction that you're on the bus or you're off, and an entire mail site either supports it or not. The experimental version had a bunch of fallback options that failed miserably.