Re: [ietf-smtp] ietf-smtp(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org and DMARC with p=quarantine; pct=0

2019-01-25 16:12:55
In article <066CEDBC-8DD0-45B0-BE9E-B06FECD6C93B(_at_)aegee(_dot_)org> you
write:
somebody wrote somewhere (I can search for this statement if necesssary), that
p=quarantine; pct=0; is the way to test, whether the
DMARC setup is working correctly and get failure reports.

There are certainly people who believe that, but they are mostly wrong.

You get the same failure reports with p=none as p=reject, so that's
not it.  I have p=none on all my domains and have collected 170,000
aggregate reports and 77,000 failure reports so I speak from
experience here.

What pct=0 might or might not do is to trigger recipient filtering
rules and mailing list rewrite rules, but that is entirely up to the
people who run the lists.  They can and will do whatever they want.

R's,
John