Re: [ietf-smtp] ietf-smtp(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org and DMARC with p=quarantine; pct=0

2019-01-25 17:27:07
Hello,

at a high level the common interest is to reach a state, where deployed DMARC
works in practice reliably:
- verifiers and signers are compatible
- signature are not broken on their way to the recipients, so no bad delivery
- the path from sender to recipient always works reliably and whenever
something does not work as expected an individual
failure report is sent
…

Receiving aggregate report, stating 0,1% of mails do not verify DKIM, shows
that signers and verifiers in that
combination are not compatible.  The aggregate report does not say whether the
the signer or the verifier does bad job,
it just proves that DMARC is not going to work 100% reliably.  This is bad for
both parties, as it just means that DMARC
shall not be trusted as it in practice does not work as expected (and therefore
deploying it is…)

The individual failure reports provide the means to find exactly what is going
wrong, on which system.  To tackle a
failure report I want to be sure that something wrong happened.  A failure
report for p=none cannot mean, that something
wrong happened, in particular it does not mean that DMARC is violated.  So
sending a report on p=none makes no sense.

Shall a failure report be sent for p=quarantine; pct=0?
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-dkim/fUGKyF0iE6DmKPJj-qH4XHz4_Lg
says “p=reject;pct=0; is to force MLMs to
rewrite From:, so as to
avoid useless reports”.

This is discussable but the common aim is to have a state, where reports get
very seldom and every report has an added
value — indicates a problem that is investigated.  Sending too much reports, on
real and unreal troubles, makes tracking
manually all reports impossible and does not help to make DMARC reliable.  Keep
in mind that not every person deploying
DMARC or mailing lists understands DMARC or acknowledges that its MLM modifies
messages but does not change the From:
sender.

The current discussion does not lead in the direction of reaching the state,
where reports are sent seldom and indicate
troubles, which troubles shall and can be handled in a way, that prevents
happening them again in the future.  That
said, the current setups in general do not permit to improve the accuracy of
DKIM/DMARC evaluations.

There are not only theoretical, but also practical concerns.  Having
mailing list, the From: is changed and DKIM invalidated.  Per RFC 6651 a report
is sent.  But this report is useless, as
the MLM broke the intentionally the DKIM-Signature, so there is no information
to extract from the report and there is
no approprite handling.

In summary, the specifications shall be read in such a way, that:
* reports shall only be sent, when the recipient of the report can and shall
take actions to improve the accuracy of
DMARC/DKIM, and
* for the purposes of testing there must be a way only to get reports for bad
situations, without having the bad
consequences.

Regards
  Дилян