[ietf-smtp] New Version Notification for draft-levine-additional-registered-clauses-02

2019-01-26 11:40:15
After reading all the discussion I posted an -02 which takes out all mention of ESNI. Here's why.

The most important issue is process. ESNI is currently described only in an early I-D which will not turn into an RFC for a long time. If I reference it, this draft will be stuck behind ESNI, also for a long time. If I don't, this draft should be able to progress quickly. Once it's published, if you want to add an ESNI clause, you can do so by expert review, no RFC needed.

More substantively, I would be surprised if any MTA ever implements ESNI because it makes no sense for mail. On the web, different hostnames lead to different web sites, and clients expect the name in the TLS cert to match the hostname in the request. In mail, we've never expected the name of the MTA to match the domain of the recpient, and it is quite normal for a million different domains to point their MXes at the same host with the same name, e.g. aspmx.l.google.com.

If you don't want your SNI to give anything away, you just do what mail systems have done all along, use the same MX names for everyone. There's no problem for ESNI to solve and certainly no reason to go to the effort to put all the ESNI glop in the DNS.

Regards,