Re: [ietf-smtp] smtp extension model (was: Re: [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN)

2019-01-30 13:44:30
Hi John,

On 30/01/2019 19:38, John Bucy wrote:
On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 5:41 AM Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com <mailto:ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    > On 17/01/2019 04.29, Ned Freed wrote:

    > > Clearly not, as you yourself have noted.

    > Microsoft supports BINARYMIME for received mail on port 25.

    > This something that, I hear, is very difficult for others to
    do.  I'm
    > told it's very complicated.  Somehow they have figured out how
    to make
    > this work.

    They have not figured out how to make it work, because it's not
    possible to
    make it work in general. Transcoding destroys DKIM signatures,
    period. So they
    either:

    (1) Reject messages sent with BINARYMIME and signatures, either in
    all cases
        or in cases where they know they are going to forward, leading to
        unncessary failures, or,

    (2) Accept such messages and trash the signatures, leading to
    unnecessary
         failures, and,

    (3) Deal with dynamic forwarding cases either by not having any or
        falling back to (1) or (2), leading to unnecessary failures.

Would it be useful to write an informational rfc "The SMTP Extensions Model in 2019" to discuss these pitfalls in detail? 5321 2.2 doesn't have a lot to say about what to do in this case.

I think it would be a useful document.

Best Regards,

Alexey