Re: [ietf-smtp] SMTP Retrying/Sending Strategy on 452 / 4.5.3

2019-02-11 17:02:34
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:09:47 -0500, Hector Santos said:
For example, a Mail List Server (MLS) starting a distribution to 500
people, connects to a local host IP or LAN IP where the SMTP
receiver/server running on the same machine or on the same subnet, or
it could even be a Smart Host were there is an negotiated
contract/authorization, in these cases, the limits can change or be
removed.

Been there, done that.  We discovered that having our Listserv machine hand off
local deliveries to our main mail hub 2000 at a time and letting it do any
needed envelope bursting generated less load on the hub than handing it 20 mail
items for 100 each.  Made a *big* difference for postings to lists that had 40K
vt.edu
addresses and 2K addresses for the rest of the planet. :)

(And yes, we only did that sort of stuff for high-traffic paths where the
sysadmins
at both ends were onboard...)