Re: [ietf-smtp] Proper definition of the term "email payload".

2019-03-31 21:46:47
Hi, I hope you (and they!) don’t mind me CCing two other people who have worked
extensively on Python’s email library, and in fact much more than myself in the
recent years.  RDM has done the bulk of the work on the new-in-Python-3 APIs,
and Mark is a long time core developer on GNU Mailman (the project that spawned
Python’s email library).

There are two ways I think about this, and I’ll use the original RFC numbers to
clarify.  There’s RFC 821, which describes the on-the-wire protocol for SMTP
transfers, embodied in Python’s smtplib library.  Then there’s RFC 822, which
describes the format of the content of that SMTP transfer, but not the protocol
itself.  Of course there are lots of developments along the way, but that’s
unimportant for the way I think about these things.

What I think you are describing, where the headers are part of the payload, is
more akin to RFC 821.  That’s the payload as far as the actual
bytes-on-the-wire are concerned.  Python’s email library is for RFC 822 (and
the many, many elaborations thereof), so in that case, the payload is the body
of the message.  On more practical terms, the implementation makes this clear,
and the APIs you use to change headers are different in form and function than
the ones you use to change the body of the message.

I think the Python documentation is fairly clear about this distinction.  At
least, I don’t remember seeing any feedback to the contrary, although RDM may
have a better sense of that.  Of course, we are always open to improvements in
Python’s documentation.

Cheers,
-Barry

On Mar 31, 2019, at 10:57, Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan