Re: [ietf-smtp] Reducing minimum recipient limit?

2019-12-16 14:28:45
Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

I would like a requirement that servers must not reject the entire
message if there are up to 100 RCPTs even if the server returns 452
for some of them. Senders can then pipeline safely.

First, even if such a requirement was acceptable - and I think there are
cases, such as an address list including a honeypot address - that make it
unacceptable -

Sorry, I should have said "must not reject the whole message just because
of the number of recipients". I don't think this needs any signalling:
it's just to clarify the interoperability criteria for the existing 100
recipient rule.

I misunderstood your original point. To me pipelining refers to transport level
pipelining. You're talking about grouping as many recipients as possible into a
transaction, in which case yes, the specific "too many recipients" error would
need to be disallowed.

Of course that wont prevent people from doing it, but it provides justification
for claiming it's their problem to solve.

That said, there are so many capricious and arbitrary limits out there that
have to be respected, to say nothing of things like near-zero information DSNs
effectively mandating VERP, that it's difficult to know where to start.

                                Ned