[ietf-smtp] Is this a valid Message-ID header ?

2020-03-04 22:34:35
I read IETF mailing lists on the IETF's IMAP server* and of late I've been
seeing some awfully funky stuff.

This is an actual Message-ID header in one of the messages in dnsop.
Is that valid?  Even though the MIME decodes to a an ASCII message ID
in the <string@domain> format, I think the answer is no.  That's not
what RFC 5322 sec 3.6 allows.

R's,
John

PS: Same question about References with mime-encoded text.

* - actually I copy the messages to my local news server so I can use
threading and killfiles.  The copy program was having trouble with
the message-ids, which NNTP needs to do duplicate detection.