Re: [ietf-smtp] Is this a valid Message-ID header ?

2020-03-06 10:35:39
On Fri, 6 Mar 2020, John C Klensin wrote:
In the interest of clarity, what you are referring to as "MIME
entities" are encoded words as specified in RFC 2231.  Right?

Right.

And because encoded words are not permitted in Message-IDs or
the other fields you mention, those fields must conform to the
specified syntax without decoding.   If they don't, it is pretty
much up to the receiving system what to do about it. ...

That was my understanding, too. I'm finding these MIME message-ID's in the IETF's IMAP server, so now I'm wondering if they were in the original message. Here's one that showed up today. I think they're all from Microsoft.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/last-call/xTEWTOyy4HOX-wyvFVaOicn2P-I/#

Regards,