Re: [ietf-smtp] G.7.3 --- resolvable FQDNs

2020-08-10 21:49:34
In article <58713b65-01a4-f07f-5fe4-6876001c20d1(_at_)linuxmagic(_dot_)com> you
write:
Just a thought, is this maybe time to enshrine some of the MAAWG
recommendations surrounding this?

If your email server egress IP has a PTR of:

mail.example.com

There SHOULD be a URL that responds to http://example.com, where
information and contact information about the operator can be found..

Can you give us a pointer to the document that says that?  I've read a
lot of M3 documents and don't recall seeing it.

Also, some operators still find a need for multiple PTR's for an IP, and
some language around avoiding too many PTR records for the same IP, and
that EACH PTR should have an associated A record and functioning URL.

I don't see the point here. Unless you're doing MTA-STS, which is a
separate spec, an MTA doesn't know what name a client thinks it has.

R's,
John
--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet