Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-email-deliveredto-00.txt

2021-02-05 15:53:54
On 2/5/2021 1:44 PM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 11:56:55 +0100, Alessandro Vesely said:

     The Delivered-To: header field is added at the time of delivery, when
     responsibility for a message transitions from the Mail Handling
     (Transport) Service to an agent acting on behalf of the specified
     recipient address.

It's a plausible design that the agent doing final delivery accepts
responsibility for delivery to multiple local mailboxes (I've often had things
that ended up delivering to root@localhost and valdis@localhost with one
invocation of the local delivery agent, for example).  Should the agent
generate two Delivered-To: headers, or does it *actually* get generated
appropriately for each copy (at a time later than when the agent accepted
responsibility)?

The question for the specification is whether it makes clear what the specification calls for. I think it does, but if readers aren't clear about it, it would be good to know what about it isn't clear enough.

A different question is how to implement the specification, so as to conform to the specification.

For storing a separate copy for each recipient, that seems straightforward.

For sharing a single copy of the message among multiple recipients, the answer probably is not straightforward...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking