Re: [ietf-smtp] To trace field or not to trace field

2021-02-16 07:40:50
Hi Dave,

On 15/02/2021 18:02, Dave Crocker wrote:
The discussion has uncovered quite a range of issues with the term
'trace header field'.  For example, by my reading, RFC 5321 has conflicting use of the term.

Generally, I think that I and others, have been using the term rather
casually and not in conformance with its actual specification.

On review of the deliveredto draft, I do not see anything that actually
requires linkage to the trace construct.

I don't find your arguments that Delivered-To is not a trace header field convincing. The main characteristic of trace header fields comes from the following text in RFC 5322:

   More importantly, the trace header fields and resent
   header fields MUST NOT be reordered, and SHOULD be kept in blocks
   prepended to the message.

If you are not going to say that Delivered-To is a trace header field, then you need to state something similar for Delivered-To, covering that is should also not be moved in relationship to other trace header fields. I.e. I don't really want to see any "creative" implementation that transforms:

  into something like:

Whether the definition and use of the term needs fixing is worthy of emailcore consideration, but it is outside the scope of the deliveredto effort.
I am Ok with that.
So I've revised the relevant draft text, to decouple from explicit trace
linkage.

Here is the previous text:

       <section title="Delivered-To:">
            <t>This specification defines the "Delivered-To" trace
header field, for annotating a delivery event and the address to which
delivery was effected. A sequence of deliveries, such as when a message
goes through multiple mailing lists, SHOULD be recorded with a series of
additional Delivered-To header field MUST be placed at the 'top' of the

Here is the revised text:

<section title="Delivered-To:">

<t>This specification defines the "Delivered-To" header field, for
annotating a delivery event and the individual address to which delivery
has been effected. A sequence of deliveries, such as when a message goes
through multiple mailing lists, SHOULD be recorded with a series of
additional Delivered-To: header field MUST be placed at the current
'top' of the message -- as the first header field, in a fashion for
similar to some fields specified in <xref target="SMTP"/>, such as in
Section 4.1.1.4.</t>

I am ambivalent about new text. But see my comment about properties of trace header fields above.

Best Regards,

Alexey