Re: [ietf-smtp] DANE penetration for MTA/MTA interactions

2021-03-25 08:39:46
Over the course of 24hrs, we have:

* About 55% using STARTTLS or None
* 35% using MTA-STS (regardless of policy)
* 10% using DANE

A few notes about this.  DANE is higher for us due to an MX which covers
several internal domains also being protected with DANE.  Without that MX in
the results, DANE is about 0.5%.  Note that we send mostly US-based P2P mail,
largely going to the three larger providers (all of which are using some level
of MTA-STS, though I find it curious that yahoo.com has MTA-STS, but aol.com
does not).  Our largest DANE destinations are Protonmail, 1and1/1und1, and US
Gov't entities.  Over the past two years, the raw volume for DANE deliveries
has nearly tripled.  FWIW, MTA-STS mode is about 75% enforce/25% testing.  Of
the TLSRPT reports (not a huge number) we have received over the past 15d,
they've all referenced our MTA-STS as the controlling policy type.

Be good to get numbers from someone in Europe (NL or DE perhaps) and see how
they compare.  I'd expect they have a bit more DANE than we do.

--
Alex Brotman
Sr. Engineer, Anti-Abuse & Messaging Policy