Re: [ietf-smtp] MTS-STS validation when MX host points to a CNAME, violating RFC 2181 § 10.3

2021-04-06 02:17:20
On Mon, Apr 5, 2021, at 08:26, Kristijonas Lukas Bukauskas wrote:
But at the same time, I believe it's not too much to ask for from
Microsoft to either send messages to MXs that point to CNAMEs or at
least report errors correctly. They are huge. They can handle that.

This world view will not serve you well.

My view: Microsoft are big therefore they have no need to test with weird error
cases because others will work around even their egregious bugs, let alone
their imperfect handling of error conditions.

Also it's harder to get support for making any change in a large organisation
without giving a good reason, and "Kristijonas wants it" isn't on the
management approved list of good reasons.

It's not an ideal world, but we don't live in an ideal world.  We live in a
real world, and in the real world "Microsoft are huge so they can handle the
cost of doing what I want them to do" only works if you have a significant
enough stick to incentivise them to do so.

Regards,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd