Re: [ietf-smtp] MTS-STS validation when MX host points to a CNAME, violating RFC 2181 § 10.3

2021-04-06 17:44:28
On 2021-04-06 23:33, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Look it up and quote chapter and verse, please. I don't see anything
of the kind. I do see wording in "my" enterprise documentation that
IMO suggests a required ability to send to working sites, but nothing
that requires Microsoft to provide a correct analysis of what is
broken at sites outside Microsoft's control.

[DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer. The following is not legal advice. Even if I was a lawyer, this discussion would not make me *your* lawyer, and this would still not be legal advice. This is only my interpretation of the law and opinion about some aspect thereof. Don't sue me if you do something unreasonable based on what I said; I disclaim all responsibility for your actions. Act at your own risk]

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement:

8. APPLICABLE LAW.

a. United States and Canada. If you acquired the application in the United States or Canada, the laws of the state or province where you live (or, if a business, where your principal place of business is located) govern the interpretation of these terms, claims for breach of them, and all other claims (including consumer protection, unfair competition, and tort claims), regardless of conflict of laws principles. b. Outside the United States and Canada. If you acquired the application in any other
country, the laws of that country apply.

9. LEGAL EFFECT.

This agreement describes certain legal rights. You may have other rights under the laws of your state or country. This agreement doesn't change your rights under the laws of your state or country if the laws of your state or country don't permit it to do so.

Thus, the client has rights laid down in the agreement plus the rights in the laws of the corresponding country. A service provider has obligations laid down in the agreement and might have obligations set in the laws of a corresponding country.

For example, local law here in Lithuania (Article 6.200 of the Civil Code of the Republic of Lithuania)[https://e-seimas.lrs.lt/portal/legalAct/lt/TAD/TAIS.245495]:

Principles of performance of a contract

* A contract must be performed by the parties in a proper way and in good faith. * In performing a contract, each party shall be bound to contribute to and to
cooperate with the other party.
* The parties shall be bound to use the most economical means in the performance of the contract. * Where according to a contract or its nature, a party in exercising certain actions is bound to make the best effort in the performance of a contract, this party shall be bound to make such effort as a reasonable person would make in the same circumstances.

If a party (a service provider) of a contract is a professional in his field with extensive experience, also due to the nature of a contract (e-mail services), although it not reasonable to require the provider to examine internal third-party server errors or misconfiguration, it's reasonable to expect the provider to know why it cannot provide the service (why it fails to send out a message on its end), and if requested, to explain those reasons to a client (sender). Showing specific errors (as opposed to generic ones) suggests the service provider's choice to provide a piece of detailed information. Being a professional, the service provider that shows detailed but misleading information (a client usually being a weaker side of the contract and that's especially true when it is a natural person) cannot be considered as acting in a good faith while performing the contract.

That's my view.

--

Regards,
Kristijonas